(Source: , via jessecaits)
Honoring Black Panther Party allies: The Chicano Revolutionary Party (CRP)
The 1960’s was a time when the activism of hundreds of thousands of protesters of many different ethnic groups created coalitions. From the Young Lords to the Peace and Freedom Party, from the Yippies (Youth International Party) to Rising Up Angry, the Black Panther Party formed coalitions with antiwar and radical activist. The Black Panther Party was about “All Power To All The People”, whether you’re black, white, blue, green, yellow, or polka dot. We believed in black unity, but only as a catalyst to help humanize the world. The Black Panther Party worked for self-determination and social justice for all people.
The Chicano Revolutionary Party was a close ally of the Black Panthers. In 1969 The Black Panthers helped the CRP start a Free Breakfast program for Latino and Black Children in the Fruitvale district. The Free breakfast program was based out of Mary help of Christians Church on E9th St in Jingletown. Like the Black Panthers The Chicano Revolutionary Party was targeted by the FBI COINTELPRO.
The Chicano Revolutionary Party (CRP) was based out of East Oakland’s Fruitvale District. The CRP as they were known began in 1968 created by Chicano and Latino students and Community members as a Chicano vanguard for the Chicano Community of East Oakland. The Chicano Revolutionary Opened an Office on 1423 Fruitvale Ave. The CRP began programs to educate The local Chicano community on several issues Ranging from Police Brutality, Immigration issues, Housing Rights, and more. The CRP also began a community newspaper called La Chispa dealing with local issues. Like the Black Panthers the CRP did nightly patrols against Police brutality. If they saw someone getting arrested they would observe the Police and would tell the person being arrested what their rights were.
All Power To All The People!
Via Bobby Seale
The Oscar Is Mexican: Academy Award Statuette Modeled After Emilio ‘El Indio’ Fernández
The story behind the Academy Award’s Oscar statuette is itself one fit for the movies.
It starts in the 1920s during the Mexican Revolution. Emilio Fernández was studying in Mexico’s military college when he dropped out to take up arms and support the revolutionary cause of Adolfo de la Huerta.
Forced into exile, a defeated De la Huerta left Mexico in 1924 to open a music school in Hollywood. A less lucky Fernández was captured and sentenced to 20 years in prison. However, he was only in jail for 8 months when he managed to escape. It is said he used dynamite to blow himself out of jail. He soon joined back up with De la Huerta in Los Angeles where he began working as an extra in Hollywood films.
It was in 1928 that friend and fellow Mexican Dolores del Río approached Fernández with the proposition of being the nude model for the Academy Award.
Fernández was modest and unwilling at first, but ultimately took the job, and is now forever tied to the Academy Award and its statuette, the “Oscar.”
Fernández eventually returned to Mexico where he wrote, directed and starred in dozens of films, receiving critical acclaim for several of them.
In 1946, his masterpiece, “María Candelaria,” was the first Mexican film to be screened at the Cannes Film Festival of France. It won the Grand Prix prize for best feature film. And in 2002, the U.S. Library of Congress named “La Perla,” which he co-wrote and directed with John Steinbeck, to its National Film Registry.
In Mexico, Emilio Fernández was known as “El Indio,” Spanish for “The Indian,” a tribute to his Indigenous heritage and subject of many of his films.
Fernández’s place in Mexican cinema is well known and highly regarded, but his role in American film history as both an actor and muse for the ultimate Hollywood award has been largely forgotten.
As you watch the Academy Awards ceremony Sunday night, remember the story of how a young man in Mexico went from fighting in a revolution to being the model for the “Oscar.” To El Indio Fernández!
This an updated version of a post we first published February 26, 2012.